Questions to Ask Your Doctor
Coping with a diagnosis of cancer and researching the various treatment options can be a stressful experience. To assist you in this process, below is a list of questions you may want to ask your radiation oncologist if you are considering radiation therapy.
Questions to Ask Before Treatment
- What type and stage of cancer do I have?
- What is the purpose of radiation treatment for my type of cancer?
- How will the radiation therapy be given? Will it be external beam or brachytherapy? What do the treatments feel like?
- For how many weeks will I receive radiation? How many treatments will I receive per week?
- What are the chances that radiation therapy will work?
- Can I participate in a clinical trial? If so, what is the trial testing? What are my benefits and risks?
- What is the chance that the cancer will spread or come back if I do not have radiation therapy?
- Will I need chemotherapy, surgery or other treatments? If so, in what order will I receive these treatments? How soon after radiation therapy can I start them?
- How should I prepare for this financially?
- What are some of the support groups I can turn to during treatment?
- If I have questions after I leave here, who can I call?
- Will radiation therapy affect my ability to have children?
- Do you take my insurance?
- What’s the easiest way to get in and out of your facility every day?
Questions to Ask During Treatment
- How can I expect to feel during treatment and in the weeks following radiation therapy?
- Can I drive myself to and from the treatment facility?
- Will I be able to continue my normal activities?
- What side effects may occur from the radiation and how are they managed?
- Do I need a special diet during or after my treatment?
- Can I exercise?
- Can I have sex?
- Can I smoke or drink alcohol?
- Will side effects change my appearance? If so, will the changes be permanent or temporary? If temporary, how long will they last?
- Is it safe to take vitamins during treatment?
- What are reasons I should call you at night or on a weekend?
Questions to Ask After Treatment Ends
- How and when will you know if I am cured of cancer?
- What are reasons I should call you after my treatment ends?
- What are the chances that the cancer will come back?
- How soon can I go back to my regular activities? Work? Sexual activity? Aerobic exercise?
- How often do I need to return for checkups?