Financial Counselor/ Front Office
Position only available at AMC Facility (320 Parkway NE Atlanta, Georgia 30312)
Under general supervision, the Financial Counselor/ Front Office is responsible for the counseling of patients and/or parties responsible for patient payment responsibilities and options. Responsible for collecting patient responsibility by following the companies’ financial counseling and collection policies and procedures
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Displays superior customer service skills when working with patients, their families, outside agencies and other departments.
- Updates demographic and insurance information as needed in billing system.
- Explains financial responsibilities for services, payment options and collection procedures to patients and/or parties responsible for payment.
- Performs a financial assessment on patients according to established guidelines
- Identifies current and prior patient responsibility, educates and collects from patient accordingly
- Counsels patients regarding insurance benefits Initiates process for collecting monies due and performs follow-up to insure maximum collection is achieved.
- Thoroughly documents all patient interaction.
- Must be able to understand and interpret the patient’s account.
- Keeps daily productivity log related to activity and collections.
- Completes weekly reporting communicating activity within the facility.
- May assist patients in obtaining third party financial assistance and/ or refer to Medicaid field office, if further financial is needed
- Must treat all clinical and financial patient information as highly confidential at all times.
- Must be able to demonstrate patience, compassion and kindness to all patients at all times.
- Must be able to effectively communicate financial information to all patient populations.
- Serves as back up for the front office staff
- Answers telephone, schedules appointments and greets and directs patients, vendors and visitors.
- Instructs new patients in completion of information forms.
- Registers patients in billing software with correct and complete demographics and insurance information
- Performs other related responsibilities as necessary
- Compiles and records medical charts, reports and correspondence.
- Perform other duties as requested by the center's medical director, facility manager or other personnel as needed to achieve maximum utilization of time and abilities.
- Performs front end billing audits on all patients
- Process patient payments and deposits
High School Diploma or equivalent required. Incumbent must possess a minimum of 2 years experience in a health care environment or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Strong communication skills, customer service delivery, and ability to prepare and present sound financial arrangements for collection required. Knowledge of medical insurance, managed care contracts and business office functions is desirable. Demonstrated expertise and experience in the areas of financial counseling, customer service and point of service collections and AR follow-up. Must have understanding and ability to read, interpret and understand EOB's. Knowledge of CPT-4, ICD-10 and medical terminology required. Knowledge of radiation therapy terminology preferred. Well-developed judgment and decision making abilities, and knowledge of third-party payors required. Excellent math, verbal and written communication skills, and computer terminal literacy required. Prefer experience with PPO, HMO, Medicare, and Medicaid. Adept in the use of Microsoft Word Processing and Excel Spreadsheet is required. Strong written and verbal communication skills, excellent interpersonal skills, sound analytical and problem solving skills are required.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the essential responsibilities of this job the employee is regularly required to bend, stand, and reach with hands and arms. This job requires the employee to sit for extended periods of time. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
I have received the job description for Financial Counselor/ Front Office and understand that the statements above are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of this position.